Sunday, April 19, 2015

DAILY-E-VOTIONAL
BLESSINGS FROM THE HEART
Pastor Cecil A. Thompson
April 20, 2015

“PLOWING STRAIGHT!”
I Corinthians 9:10
Or does He say it altogether for our sakes? For our sakes, no doubt, this is written, that he who plows should plow in hope, and he who threshes in hope should be partaker of his hope.”       
                                                           
It seems as if I have always been fascinated by farming. As a boy we had a very small house on the edge of town and in a small field next to the house we had a milk cow. The labor of caring for this sweet natured animal was rewarded by the rich milk that she produced. I will always remember old Blossom.

One summer when I was a teenager I traveled to the Oklahoma panhandle to work for my uncle. My job was to drive a tractor pulling a plow. It was my first experience pulling a plow and thought it would be a snap.

I had not been plowing very long when my uncle met me at the end of the field with a scowl on his face. He wanted to know why I couldn’t plow a straight row. He said my furrow was as crooked as snake. I told him I was trying to plow straight and I was very careful about watching my front wheel to keep it in the furrow.

It was then that I learned that you do not plow a straight line by looking down at the furrow but looking down to a point on the far side of the field and heading directly for it. The field was about a half mile long, so it was hard to pick out a spot in the distance, but as I did the plow lines became straight and true. In like manner we need to keep our eyes on the hope of our eternal home. Quit looking at the furrow and focus on the glory that awaits on the other side!

May God richly bless you as you bless others by your words and actions! 

- - - Pastor Cecil

No comments:

Post a Comment