Sunday, March 22, 2015

DAILY-E-VOTIONAL
BLESSINGS FROM THE HEART
Pastor Cecil A. Thompson
March 23, 2015

“NOT MY HOME!”
Joshua 14:15
But if serving the Lord seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your ancestors served beyond the Euphrates, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord.”                                          

Last week I took a trip down memory lane with my son Dan, his wife Donna, and my daughter Lori. We travelled to my birthplace (Camas, Washington) to attend the funeral of my cousin, Gene.

I also wanted to share with my kids the house where I lived as a boy, the building that housed the restaurant my parents owned and operated, the church where I gave my heart to the Lord, and the grave of my grandparents, Earnest and Lola Thompson. It was grandpa Thompson who left this world by breathing, “Well, there’s Jesus now!”

Things have changed dramatically in the 65 plus years since I lived in Camas. The house had been remodeled and tripled in size, the restaurant building now housed an insurance agency, the church was a different denomination...only the graves remained the same.

As I reflect back on that poignant day of showing my kids where I had lived, I have been struck by the fact that I do not live there anymore. After all these years and everything I have experienced, my temporary home is in Tumwater, Washington, and my eternal home is in heaven. Oh, how I long to be there!

I fear that many people spend too much time living in the past--places they have lived, positions they have held, titles they have received, relationships they have enjoyed, and various other things. Look beyond, dear friend, we do not live there anymore!  

May God richly bless you as you bless others by your words and actions! 

- - - Pastor Cecil

No comments:

Post a Comment