Sunday, March 1, 2015

DAILY-E-VOTIONAL  
BLESSINGS FROM THE HEART
Pastor Cecil A. Thompson
March 2, 2015

“THE BEAUTY OF PAIN!”
I Peter 4:12-13
“Beloved, do not think it strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you, as though some strange thing happened to you; but rejoice to the extent that you partake of Christ’s sufferings, that when His glory is revealed, you may also be glad with exceeding joy.”

In the past I have written about how the Lord can use pain to reveal our total dependence upon Him as we go through the time of suffering. There are many different types of pain, but they all hurt! A few days ago one of our Daily-E-Votional members sent a penetrating look at pain. He has graciously allowed me to share it with you.

I deal with pain 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. How can that possibly be a blessing? I will gladly tell you. I now appreciate life more than ever. Pain has taught me that happiness is not based upon what we feel. It is based on our love for and trust of God. It’s based upon the positive, not the negative. When I was healthy and could do pretty much whatever I set my mind to do, I was all tied up in making as much money as possible. Now, my mind is set on God, my wife, our children, and grandchildren. I have a deeper love for our extended family members, and I can now better minister to people who really suffer from my first-hand experience.

While what causes me so much pain keeps me from doing some things I really love, it also has given me a new realization of what it is to love what I can do. Spiritually speaking, one of the benefits of pain is expressed by James: “Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance” (James 1:2-3). According to James, when we endure painful trials, we can take joy in knowing that God is at work in us to produce endurance and Christ-like character. This applies to mental, emotional, and spiritual pain as well as physical pain.

Pain also provides us an opportunity to experience the grace of God. Consider what Paul said: “And He has said to me, ‘My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness.’ Most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me”  (2 Corinthians 12:9). 

Paul was speaking of a “thorn in his flesh” that was troubling him. We don’t know what it was, but it seemed to have been painful for Paul. He recognized that God’s grace was being given to him so he could endure. Although pain is not pleasant, we should thank God for it. Pain causes us to reflect on the awful consequence of sin and be extremely thankful to God for making a way for us to be saved. When one is in pain, it is an excellent time to realize that Jesus endured excruciating emotional and physical pain on our behalf. There is no pain that could approach the horrific events of Jesus’ crucifixion, and He suffered that pain willingly to redeem us and glorify His Father.

Indeed pain grants us many blessings.

Thanks, Jerry.
  
Blessings, dear hearts. Draw near to God today, trust Him completely, and be a blessing!
- - - Pastor Cecil
Check out our website at: www.daily-e-votional.com

No comments:

Post a Comment