Tuesday, March 10, 2015

“EXCUSES!”

DAILY-E-VOTIONAL
BLESSINGS FROM THE HEART
Pastor Cecil A. Thompson
March 11, 2015

“EXCUSES!”
Genesis 3:12-13
The man said, ‘The woman You put here with me—she gave me some fruit from the tree, and I ate it.’ Then the Lord God said to the woman, ‘What is this you have done?’ The woman said, ‘The serpent deceived me, and I ate.’”         

Many years ago there was a comedian by the name of Flip Wilson. In one of his popular comedy sketches he continually excused his misbehavior by saying, “The devil made me do it!” That may be all too true, but the excuse fails the scrutiny of the Lord.

Excuse-making started way back in the Garden of Eden. Both Adam and Eve went against the command of God not to eat of that tree. Instead of confessing their sin, they pointed the finger at someone else. Adam excused himself by blaming the woman and the God who made her. (How is that for soft-headed logic?!) The woman blamed the serpent instead of admitting that she had sinned.

I guess you know what is coming next. If making excuses for our sinful actions started in the Garden, have we perfected it? In our modern world sin has become so prevalent that those who live a righteous life are considered abnormal (I wonder where that lie came from.)

John gives us a clear pattern for dealing with sin without making an excuse. I John 1:9:  If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.” Stop making excuses and confess!

May God richly bless you as you bless others by your words and actions! 

- - - Pastor Cecil

No comments:

Post a Comment