Tuesday, May 19, 2015

DAILY-E-VOTIONAL
BLESSINGS FROM THE HEART
Pastor Cecil A. Thompson
May 20, 2015

“ALWAYS SOMETHING!”
 John 16:32-33
Indeed the hour is coming, yes, has now come, that you will be scattered, each to his own, and will leave Me alone. And yet I am not alone, because the Father is with Me.  These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world.

“Be of good cheer!” How easy it is to pronounce statements like that without considering the cost. According to Jesus, we are going to have tribulations. Have you experienced them yet? Some wise person once observed that if you haven’t already, you will.  They are not just mere words¯they are reality. This world is not an easy place in which to live. But, we are called to live here and to be an example.

I really haven’t had to suffer too much in my lifetime. I’ve lost many family members that were very close and very dear. I have gone through financial reversals. I have known physical restrictions and conflicts. But I can’t truly say that I have really suffered the way many have suffered and are suffering.

John the beloved disciple wrote the book in which we read today’s Scripture. We are told that he was the only one of the disciples that was not martyred. But believe me, he did not escape suffering. We are informed that he was dipped into boiling oil and yet survived. I hate to even consider the thought of what that must have felt like. Since he was tortured and expected to die, I doubt that there was any thought of making it easier for him by giving him any form of anesthesia.

So what do we do when we have troubles in this world? According to the words of Jesus in today’s Scripture, we are to be of good cheer. What reason does Jesus give? The reason is that He has overcome the world and we can overcome the world through Him. Are you living that victorious life in the face of difficult situations right now?

May God richly bless you as you bless others by your words and actions! 

- - - Pastor Cecil

No comments:

Post a Comment