Sunday, May 31, 2015

DAILY-E-VOTIONAL
BLESSINGS FROM THE HEART
Pastor Cecil A. Thompson
June 1, 2015

“WE NEED MUSIC!”
 Psalm 49:13
“Sing, O heavens! Be joyful, O earth! And break out in singing, O mountains! For the Lord has comforted His people, and will have mercy on His afflicted.”

Some of the funniest things…I should say in the most embarrassing things, have occurred when I was conducting either weddings or funerals. It was a cold blustery winter day and I was officiating at a graveside service. The wind was blowing so hard that the sides of the canopy had been lowered. Things were progressing without incident. Most of the family was seated on the front row, except the son-in-law was standing about 5 feet from me on the left.

I was quoting the 23rd Psalm. I think I had just uttered the words; “He maketh me lie down in green pastures.” I heard the intake of breath and as I glanced to the left I noticed that the son-in-law’s trousers had slipped down and were now around his ankles. Rather than being angry the family dissolved in laughter. When I finished the service the son-in-law sheepishly approached me and said, “I think you’ve never seen that happen before?” I agreed with him that it was the very first time that I had ever encountered that.

I was conducting a wedding in a resort setting. There were perhaps 250 to 300 people in attendance. The wedding party had come into pre-recorded music and we were waiting for the bride’s March to be played which would announce the entrance of the bride. There was only silence. Both mothers stood and the audience stood still no music. I looked over at the sound technician who had not been present at the rehearsal. He shrugged his shoulders and acted lost. I asked people to be seated and walked over to him and ask what the problem was? He wanted to know what he was to play and I told him the bride’s March. He did not know what it was! I don’t think the bride was too happy with the sound man!

There humorous situations that we will encounter in our life. If we have no music these situations can become intolerable. I am so glad that Jesus brings music into the heart of those of us who cannot even carry a tune. It’s His music! That’s the music I desire!

May God richly bless you as you bless others by your words and actions! 

- - - Pastor Cecil

No comments:

Post a Comment