Wednesday, May 27, 2015

DAILY-E-VOTIONAL
BLESSINGS FROM THE HEART
Pastor Cecil A. Thompson
May 28, 2015

“READ YOUR OWN INSTRUCTIONS!”
Ephesians 6:2-4
“Honor your father and mother, which is the first commandment with promise: that it may be well with you and you may live long on the earth. And you, fathers, do not provoke your children to wrath, but bring them up in the training and admonition of the Lord.”
We have often been told that it is important to read the instructions before assembling. I must confess that most of us men have a tendency to feel that we know more than those who have written the instructions and so we charge full steam ahead without reading the instructions. How frustrating it is when we run into a conflict and realize we have taken the wrong steps or taken them out of order.

I once had purchased two pieces of furniture that required some assembly. For once I read the instructions and begin assembling one of the pieces. I was getting more and more confused and frustrated when I realized I had picked up the wrong instructions and what I was reading was for the opposite peace. Rats!

In today’s Scripture there instructions for children but also for fathers. Children are to obey their parents. That goes back to the 10 Commandments and were told it is the first commandment with promise. The one for fathers is a little more difficult. By the very wording I think it indicates that fathers have a tendency to provoke their children. How sad that is I would like to share just a portion of a letter that I just received of how a grandfather, Tom impacted his three year old grandson, Fischer.

 Yesterday, we had Fischer for a few hours while Jamie gave piano lessons.  I had gotten Fischer one of those little beginner fishing poles awhile ago and I thought this might be the time for him to try it out.  I asked Tom to walk with Fischer and I to a little stream not far from our house so Fischer could practice with his fishing pole.  He had so much fun playing with the pole and throwing rocks and sticks into the stream.  He did not want to leave.  On the walk back, I told Tom “to Fischer, this experience was better than going to Disneyland.”  Fischer said “Yep.”

May God richly bless you as you bless others by your words and actions! 

- - - Pastor Cecil

No comments:

Post a Comment