Tuesday, May 26, 2015

DAILY-E-VOTIONAL
BLESSINGS FROM THE HEART
Pastor Cecil A. Thompson
May 27, 2015

“GET US OUT OF HERE!”
 Hebrews 2:3-4
“How shall we escape if we neglect so great a salvation, which at the first began to be spoken by the Lord, and was confirmed to us by those who heard Him, God also bearing witness both with signs and wonders, with various miracles, and gifts of the Holy Spirit, according to His own will?”

1959 Yellowstone earthquake occurred on August 17 at 11:37 pm (MST) in southwestern Montana, United States. The earthquake measured 7.3 to 7.5 on the Richter magnitude scale, and caused a huge landslide that caused over 28 fatalities. I had just started my shift as dispatcher on the Nampa, Idaho police department. As our building began to shake I could hear cries coming from the jail section; “Get us out of here!”
   
There was a brief moment of panic as I considered the consequences. If I opened the cells and released the prisoners, they might escape and I would be held accountable. On the other hand if I ignored their cries and the building began to crumble, I might escape, but they would have no way of escape.

Almost as soon as I considered the options I grabbed the jail key and while ignoring the calls coming in on the switchboard, ran back and opened each cell begging them to please gather outside on the lawn until the threat had ended. I then went back to my post and prayed that we may all survive the quake. There was no loss of life in our area, and yes, all of the prisoners thanked me as I led them back to their cells.

I think we can almost feel the earth shaking with the certainty of Christ’s soon return. I can almost hear their cry; “Get us out of here!” It should cause each of us to take more responsibility to rescue as many as possible. Let’s risk our own comfort and save them!

May God richly bless you as you bless others by your words and actions! 

No comments:

Post a Comment