Tuesday, June 2, 2015

DAILY-E-VOTIONAL
BLESSINGS FROM THE HEART
Pastor Cecil A. Thompson
June 3, 2015

“WHAT IS LIFE?!”
James 4:13-16
“Come now, you who say, ‘Today or tomorrow we will go to such and such a city, spend a year there, buy and sell, and make a profit’; whereas you do not know what will happen tomorrow. For what isyour life? It is even a vapor that appears for a little time and then vanishes away. Instead you ought to say, ‘If the Lord wills, we shall live and do this or that.’ But now you boast in your arrogance. All such boasting is evil.

I sometimes feel that trying to explain Scripture detracts from the essence of the very Word of God. That is the case with today’s Scripture. Life at its best is so fleeting that we can hardly even explain the brevity of life.

I have spent several hours today scanning through some pictures of our family. It was one of those tasks that I had put off and put off but finally got around to it was that a task of going through old pictures and clippings. Much of the time there were tears in my eyes. As a matter of fact there are tears in my eyes right now.

I’ve viewed pictures of my great-grandparents, my grandparents, my parents, my brother, my wife, our three children, seven grandchildren, and eight great-grandchildren. I was stunned at how many are no longer with me. Many realize how fleeting life really is.

It would be easy to become depressed if it wasn’t the hope of salvation an eternity with our precious Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and the greatest reunion we can even imagine. This life is so brief that we need to make every effort to let the love of Jesus and the love of others shine through everything we do. I love you all!

May God richly bless you as you bless others by your words and actions! 

- - - Pastor Cecil

No comments:

Post a Comment