Wednesday, June 3, 2015

DAILY-E-VOTIONAL
BLESSINGS FROM THE HEART
Pastor Cecil A. Thompson
June 4, 2015

“GIFT CARDS!”
Colossians 2:2-3
My goal is that they may be encouraged in heart and united in love, so that they may have the full riches of complete understanding, in order that they may know the mystery of God, namely, Christ, in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.

I have been told by my family that I am hard to buy gifts for. I hope that means that I am content with what I have. Perhaps when you reach your 70’s (or in my case, the early 80’s), what in the world can you get for somebody like me that I don't already have?

The solution that many have decided upon is to give me gift cards. I have a confession to make -- I tend to stash gift cards. Not intentionally, but I just never seem to have them with me at the right time or am not sure how to use them.

I recently discovered a stash of five gift cards for Amazon.com. It was ridiculous because I was sure they were given to me some time ago. When I called Amazon to see if the cards might still be valid, I learned they were from 2012. After considerable analysis, I also discovered that they were in my account -- all I had to do was place an order and the gift card values would be applied to my purchase. What a pleasant discovery!

How many times do we find ourselves spiritually sitting on the treasures of God instead of applying them? We live like spiritual paupers instead of like the children of the King. I do not wish to imply that we should live extravagantly, but that we should draw upon the spiritual wealth that gives answers to all of life’s problems and situations. Someone has said that “for every sigh there is a Psalm.” That being the case, God has given us the answers to life's issues. When we search His Word and apply it as His gift card, we will find that there is sufficient balance to cover the charge. Let’s redeem those gift cards in our life!

May God richly bless you as you bless others by your words and actions!   

- - - Pastor Cecil 

No comments:

Post a Comment