Sunday, July 19, 2015

“DEALING WITH LOSS!”


DAILY-E-VOTIONAL
BLESSINGS FROM THE HEART
Pastor Cecil A. Thompson
July 20, 2015

 DO YOU WANT TO LISTEN TO THE DAILY E-VOTIONAL CLICK (OR COPY AND PASTE INTO YOUR BROWSER) FOR MY DAILY BLOG!

“DEALING WITH LOSS!”
Philippians 3:7-11
But what things were gain to me, these I have counted loss for Christ. Yet indeed I also count all things loss for the excellence of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them as rubbish, that I may gain Christ and be found in Him, not having my own righteousness, which is from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which is from God by faith; that I may know Him and the power of His resurrection, and the fellowship of His sufferings, being conformed to His death,  if, by any means, I may attain to the resurrection from the dead.

In a split second of time a life can change dramatically. Nothing ever remains the same and we all deal with loss of some type. Death may take a loved one, an accident may cause amputation or loss of capability, or abandonment and divorce may devastate. It is safe to say that loss is inevitable for each of us. I don’t think that is being fatalistic but realistic.

My wounds are still extremely sore from the loss of my wife just over six months ago. From time to time I will pick up something and it will bring back vivid memories. We had sixty-two years of making memories together. Seeing a note that was written, handkerchief that was folded, or just recalling something that we shared together wrenches my heart.

I know that those who have lost limbs, sight, or other faculties experience that same moment of recall when things were normal and good. But what do we do with these heart rendering moments?

I think we have two choices. In fact I know we have two choices. We can either allow them to dominate our life, crush our spirit, and make us emotional invalids, or we can choose to keep our eyes on the prize that awaits us.

Paul knew what it was to experience loss after loss. He seemed to have it all together and was on his way to become one of the Jewish leaders. But when Jesus met him as he was on his road to Damascus, he lost his sight and his vocation. He was given a new assignment directly from the Savior.

Across the years that Paul ministered he experienced loss after loss. Rather than feeling sorry for himself and curling up in a ball he recognized that he could use the losses to strengthen his ministry.

I would encourage each and every one of us to look beyond the loss that we experience and see the opportunity that each loss can provide.

May God richly bless you as you bless others by your words and actions! 

- - - Pastor Cecil

No comments:

Post a Comment